Monday, January 29, 2018

Scrappy Crochet Hexagons with Extra Colors + More Inspiration

I am working away on my Scrappy Crochet Hexagon Blanket. I stumbled on this idea to make the rounds in two different colors. This way, if I am working along and run out of a color, I can pick up another and complete the round. I wouldn't do all the hexagons this way because it makes for more ends to weave in but once in a while, it is fun to throw in a hexagon with more than three colors. When the blanket is done, it will give the person snuggling under something to discover. 


A few years ago, a lovely woman named Maria came to one of my summer classes. We were painting lampshades but whenever we were in the "discussion" part of the weekend, Maria whipped out her new project - a crochet hexagon afghan. Maria was totally obsessed with her hexagons - as it seems many people are. I contacted Maria to ask her if I could share her pattern and she said sure. 



The Hexagons that Maria made are different than the ones I am making. They begin as a circle. In the last round, they turn into a hexagon. 

You can follow Maria at "quiltmomoffive" on both Ravelry and Instagram. She is a super talented woman who knits, crochets, spins and weaves! And she is lovely on top of it all.  Thanks Maria for the inspiration! 

And more inspiration ---- My blog friend from "across the pond" Adaliza made a gorgeous crochet afghan from my yarn several years ago. It was called Gypsy Rose and you can see it here. This winter she is working on a second one. Check that out here. Gorgeous work from another talented woman. 

3 comments:

Adaliza said...

That's so kind of you, Kristin - to give Gypsy Rose a mention. I'm currently torn between another C2C blanket which will be for my Dad, and Vintage Rose which is the one I've been sharing. I'm surrounded by yarn, on the sofa each evening - no room for collies or visiting children! Stay warm. Ax

Unknown said...

I remember Maria well, Kristin. I remember that blanket she was working on too! And that she said she had five kids and was building a lakehouse (nothing like the little shoebox I live in, I'm sure.) I was intrigued by her color choices and am excited to check out her pattern and to follow your creation!

Auntie Shan said...

Love the colour breakup! Too bad that you don't have a varigated ball... Unless you use one to join the hexes..? -- Can't wait to see the end result! #GonnaBeAwesome
Anyhoo, hope you're not getting too swamped with the weather!
:-D

Kristin Is Now Writing Over on Substack

Hi All! A quick note to let you all know that I'm now writing a Newsletter over on Substack: Kristin Nicholas' Colorful Newsletter f...